Monday, February 06, 2006

Fitness is Not Rocket Science - It's Character and Motivation

The "How To" is simple. The "Why Do" is hard. It is the "why do" that helps us keep with an exercise plan that is difficult to initiate and often has no inherent fun attached to it. Many have already crapped out on their New Year's Resolutions. Some are still "planning" to begin them. To keep myself motivated, I often ask myself the following questions.

Do I want to stay young looking?

I am vain enough to be motivated by this factor. Weight training is the only activity that conclusively preserves youth and even reverses signs of aging. See Weight Training and Its Effects on Aging. Not only does vanity motivate me but, as I always say, staying younger longer gives you opportunity to live almost two lives. I don't know about you, but after I tire of being an online fitness store owner, I think I'll go on to becoming an astronaut. Or maybe a brain surgeon! If my health stays good, who knows?

Do you believe aging is just something that happens to you?

Most aging that we witness is not a natural occurrence, but a result of chronic disease, which is often totally avoidable. Before antibiotics, vaccines and improved sanitation, most illnesses were sudden, acute and uncontrollable . Lives were taken swiftly and well before the end of the human life span. Now we die from heart disease and other illness that develop slowly, and are caused largely by our eating habits and sedentary lifestyle. This is good news, because we now can do something to prevent and even reverse age-related frailty.

What and whom do you want to attract this year?

Are you noticing some trolls in your life? If you workout three times this week, you will feel and look better immediately. Looking and feeling better attracts different people, places and things into your life, because outward appearances does reflect inward dynamics.

Have you written down realistic and specific fitness goals for 2006?

I have not done this for 2006. But, research studies show that those who write down their goals, and are specific about what they want to achieve, are more likely to accomplish their desired outcomes. For instance, telling yourself "I want to exercise and look better," constitutes vague and ineffective goal setting. Instead write down, "in the next three months I want to lose 12 lbs. and reduce my waistline to 30 inches. I will accomplish this by weight training on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays for an hour each session." You must have a clear vision of where you want to go if you are to get there at all.

Do you believe that fitness is something you can cram into your hectic life?

There is a very lucrative industry that preys on the many hopefuls looking for fast and easy fitness. It sells all kinds of gadgets and books claiming you can get fit in just minutes a day. The truth is, something must change inside yourself that helps you shift your priorities and organize your life in ways that make space for your new fit-consciousness.

Over and out, for now. Janet

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, Janet, for setting the record straight - the last thing we need is another book on how to lose weight, how to get 6 pack abs, how to tone your body, etc etc ad nauseum.

7:03 AM  
Blogger Sreenivasa S said...

Hi you have got a good info on your blog which is worth reading, even I have a Muscle toning related website and blog. I should say good job done

7:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home