Thursday, July 13, 2006

Finding A Gym That Supports You!


Hi Ladies!

Most of my training is currently done in a private studio with my personal trainer closely monitoring me. I am in the early stages of learning to safely perform the two Olympic Lifts and believe me, I need the monitoring. Training at home is out of the question because the type of training I am doing requires lots of space and a large wooden platform for me to perform the movements safely. My accessory work is done in a local gym that allows me to bring in some of my own equipment for my workouts. This equipment includes plastic urethane training plates(5 and 10 lbs each) that are the same diameter as the Olympic size 45 lb. plates you see in your local gym or health club. I also have been using them for deadlift training.

This has become critical to my workouts.

Most, if not all commercial gyms(and health clubs) will not have training plates available. That means that for weight trainers like you and me, we are forced to begin deadlifting at 135 lbs.(using two 45 lb. plates, one 45 lb. Olympic bar) to get us the correct height from the ground, or not lift at all!

Finding a commercial gym that allows you to bring equipment essential to fit your level of training is no easy task. It took me several months to find one that did. This gym was not the cheapest nor the closest to my home. They 'won' my membership because they ultimately left my training to me. While, lugging these plates from my car through the gym doors may seem odd to some, I know this equipment will help me with the work-out I need. Unfortunately, current industry standards still fall short for women, and we are required to go that extra step to insure the most safe, effective work-out for ourselves.

It may take longer to find a facility that 'supports' your training, but they are out there!

Best,
Linda Kravitz, CEO
TheFitWoman.com

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Linda:

I agree with you that it is very hard for women to find a good "commercial" gym and that they are best trained in private studios or at home. Several things that are essential for training women are dumbells between 2 & 5 pounds, ankle weights and a correct size physioball (this ranges be between 45 & 65cm). A wrong size ball can create low back, shoulder & neck problems. Another essential item are the Plate Mates, magnetic weights that attach to the end of dumbells and allow women to progress from 1/4 - 1/1/2 pounds per set. Five pound weights jumps are too large for most women and can result in injury. The right equipment can make all the difference between a great workout and a trip to the Orthopeadic Surgeon. If a trainer does not own this equipment or access to it, then they should not be training women (actually they are not training women, they are abusing them)

Keep up the great work with your website, it is a great resource for female weight trainers.

Gordon

8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home